Richard M. Mahon II
Richard Mahon, Esq. (Rich) is a Founding Firm Partner focusing on commercial and business law, commercial litigation, general litigation and employment law. With decades of experience, Rich is an accomplished litigator admitted to all New York Federal and State courts.
Rich has represented individuals, corporations, Churches, Congregations, financial institutions and government entities across a broad range of legal and administrative issues. Rich's experience and expertise include real estate disputes, including easements; contract disputes; shareholder litigation; corporate dissolution proceedings; foreclosure litigation; probate and trust contests and related litigation in the New York Surrogate's Court; not-for-profit corporation issues; religious corporation issues; and all aspects of employment and discrimination law.
As part of his commercial practice, Rich counsels both large and small business clients on strategic litigation and planning matters. Rich also provides support to the Firm's transactional, corporate and estate practice to guide clients through vital and sometimes difficult circumstances.
Rich has been selected as a Super Lawyer for 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and 2013 an honor accorded to just 5% of attorneys nationwide. He has been rated in 2013 as among the Top 5% of Upstate New York Attorneys.
Rich and his spouse, Deborah, reside in Pine Bush in Orange County. They have five children. Rich remains actively involved in Community Board service. Rich also holds Master's Degrees in Theology and Divinity. Whether running, biking or lifting, he is avidly active and has been an athlete since his youth in Rockland County.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- General Litigation
- Employment Law
- District of Columbia, 1986
- New York, 1987
- U.S. District Court Northern District of New York, 1993
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1990
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1991
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 1993
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 1992
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1993
- Boston College Law School, Boston, Massachusetts
- J.D. - 1985
- Cornell University, Ithaca, New York
- B.A. - 1981
- New York University, New York, New York
- Certificate in Financial Planning - 2009
- Institute of Certified Bankers, American Bankers Association, Wash., D.C., Certified Trust and Financial Advisor - 2013
- FINRA Series 65, Investment Advisor Representative – 2013
- "Swiss Watching: A Nonprofit Prudent Investor Guide", Exec Sense, Inc., 2013
- Lecturer, "Employee Discharge and Documentation: How Not to Become a Defendant", National Business Institute, 2006
- Lecturer, "How to Handle Involuntary Terminations Correctly", NBSI, 2006
- Lecturer, "The Family Medical Leave Act: What you Need to Know", 2004
- Lecturer, "When Cancer Strikes a Co-Worker, Legal Issues Affecting You", 2005
Honors and Awards
- Rated in 2013 as among the Top 5% of Upstate New York Attorneys
- Rated in 2012 as among the Top 5% of Upstate New York Attorneys
- Rated in 2010 as Among the Top 5% of Upstate New York Attorneys
- Rated in 2009 as Among the Top 5% of Upstate New York Attorneys
- Rated in 2008 as Among the Top 5% of Upstate New York Attorneys
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Orange County Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association